Nicotine patch side effects
If you feel that the nicotine patch is curing or helping people to quit smoking, the other way you might consider is that, does Nicotine patch has side effects?
Answering the question, yes, and there are few side effects of the nicotine patch when you start using it.
Getting away the nicotine form your mind and body is one of the best decision of your life if you are into smoking for a period. Nicotine replacement therapy is the best and approved treatment for smoking cessation and the best aid among the course is the nicotine patch.
In common, the side effects of the nicotine patch are very mild to nothing.
However, there are chances that you need to be very conscious or alert, that you need to report to your doctor immediately. But, such conditions are rarely seen.
Check out the following symptoms of the side effects.
If you are not compatible with the nicotine patch, then the first reaction you encounter is the allergic reactions, rashes, blisters, and hives. In addition, it is also reported to get reddening of the skin like urticaria, itching, patches of swollen, skin peeling, trouble in breathing, chest tightening, swelling of face, mouth, lips tongue and around eyes.
The above mentioned features are generally associated with the rare cases of side effects.
The other side effects of Nicotine patch are:
- Severe headache on one or either side
- Mood swings
- State of confusion
- Very nervous or anxiety
- Burning sensation or skin irritation
- Stomach aches or repeated motion
- Poor or blurred eyesight
- Abnormal or increased heart beat
- Congestion in chest area
- Temporary disability of hearing
- Sudden sweat
- Feeling exhausted
- Tingling speech
Other mild side effects of Nicotine patch:
Not to worry or fear too much about the side effects of the nicotine patch. The adverse condition is seen only in rare cases, while few of the common or mild side effects are listed below
- Feeling hard to fall asleep or getting irregular sleep
- Restless mind and vivid dreams
- Nervousness and anxiety for no reason
- Mild to severe headache
- Rare joint or back pain
- Skin irritation around the area of the nicotine patch
- Feeling drowsy
Can nicotine patch cause overdose?
Yes, nicotine patch can cause you the overdose problem to an extent, if you smoke when the nicotine patch is applied to you. This is often faced by some persons who some time has forgotten that they are under the medication.
However, the overdose of nicotine can leave you with few mild effects as mentioned already.
Seek immediate medical help if the condition continues or goes worse. Inform the details of the medication to one of your dearest ones or the person next to you.
This will help them to explain about you to the physician when you are abnormal.
What things need to be considered before taking the nicotine patch?
There are few things that you need to take it into account before undergoing this nicotine replacement therapy.
First things first, make sure that you speak to your doctor openly about your medical history and the drugs you are allergic to.
Also, don’t forget to mention the hospital department about your previous medication session and the drug usage, if any.
Especially, if you are a pregnant woman or a breast-feeding mother, then you should consult your doctor first. You may be diagnosed by a modified medication.
Inform your doctor if you are facing any of the following conditions:
If you have heart related diseases, stomach ulcer, diabetes, Thyroid issues, skin allergy or any other blood related diseases, report to your doctor immediately.
Also, ask about the effect of the medication, if it might interfere with the current medication conditions.
Based on your health condition, your doctor might prescribe you a specific treatment.
Side effects on Women and Children:
Generally, it is not advisable to take any strong dose of medicine during pregnancy as it may affect the fetus. Even in case of Nicotine, the condition is same and you should seek doctor’s advice before undergoing this medication.
Anything that is ingested by the mother is fed to the baby through mother’s milk.
Try to avoid the usage of nicotine patch if you are a breast-feeding mother. Nicotine can easily pass to the baby through mother’s milk.
Though, the usage of the nicotine patch is advisable, the medication is not yet formulated for the children and adolescent.
Can I take Nicotine patch with other drugs?
It is better not to administrate two drugs into your body simultaneously. This is due to that some drugs may interrupt the reaction of the other or react and result in some other new product.
However, you need to report to your doctor about the medication process you are undergoing. Your doctor may alter or restrict some drugs if it is needed.
if you are taking any of the following drugs, then you are advice take the thing to your doctor’s knowledge.
- Peginterferon alfa-2b
How to control or prevent the side effects of Nicotine patch?
First leave the fear of side effect of the treatment. But, leaving the fear will not help you keep away from the serious effects of the side effects. Here are few points need to be considered before taking the nicotine patch.
- Discuss the things like how long you are smoking and how much cigarettes or other nicotine sources you use a day to your doctor. Don’t feel shy about telling yourself that you are out of control and you need help to quit smoking.
- Never use a higher dose than prescribed.
- Monitor your blood pressure and sugar level closely, if you are using the Nicotine patch for the first time
- In common, the side effects may have slightly inclined risk as the age goes higher.
- Always keep the reach of poison control center and medical records.
- Never smoke or vape while the nicotine patch on.
- Change the patch for every 24 hrs.
- Discard you used Nicotine patch properly and safely. Keep such things away from children and other pets.
- It’s better to keep your patch off while your sleeping is disturbed or if you see vivid dreams.
- Peel off your nicotine patch at least 2 hours before you have sex.
- Always have a steady mind and stay calm if you are using for the first time. Things will get into your control slowly.
- If you are not comfortable with the gradual lowering of Nicotine dose, consult your physician.